Yahoo! Southeast Asia Editors revealed the results of their “Pitong Pinoy” project.
The project is about finding seven Filipinos today who have made a remarkable difference. Their stories of change, volunteerism, and selflessness make us prouder to be Pinoys.
In alphabetical order, they are:
1. Alexis Belonio – He created a cooking stove designed to help poor people have access to hot meals.
2. Jean Enriquez – She is the head of the Coalition Against Trafficking in Women-Asia Pacific, which vigorously fights sex tourism, the mail-order bride trade, pornography, and sexual exploitation.
3. Jay Jaboneta – His advocacy “Zamboanga Funds for Little Kids” has raised money to buy bright new yellow boats for kids in Layag Layag, Zamboanga who had to swim to get to school everyday.
4. Tomas Leonor – She organized “StepJuan” and volunteered to travel without any motored transportation to raise funds for cancer-stricken children at the Philippine Children’s Medical Center.
5. Heidi Mendoza – She made headlines and risked her life to expose supposed corruption in the military, allegedly led by ex-Armed Forces of the Philippines comptroller Carlos Garcia, Heidi Mendoza photo by www.cfamedia.org
6. Anna Oposa – She initiated the “Save the Philippine Seas” campaign to combat the massive coral reef destruction.
7. Tzarina Saniel – She collects and preserves old Filipino books, even original manuscripts from Jose Rizal, in her attempt to keep Pinoy literature alive.
Photo Credits: Jay Jaboneta photo by http://jayjaboneta.posterous.com, Jean Enriquez photo by http://hronlineph.wordpress.com, Alexis Belonio photo by www.rolexawards.com, Tomas Leonor photo by http://www.pinoyweekendwarrior.com, Heidi Mendoza photo by www.cfamedia.org, Anna Oposa by www.annaoposa.ph, and Tzarina Saniel photo by Tzarina Saniel’s Facebook account